Friday, July 16, 2010

The power of words.

Words are very powerful. Much more so than many people believe. I have been dying to write this post, but figured I will wait until I have a solid 12 months as a Mom under my belt :)...

This post is for all the women who are pregnant, want to be pregnant or will be in the future. This post is also for anyone who does or will ever come in to contact with a pregnant woman.

It is often discussed in Advertising and Marketing classes that word-of-mouth is one of the strongest forms of Advertising - both positive and negative. In the same way, the things that are said to a pregnant woman are incredibly important.

Throughout my pregnancy, I heard an endless array of negative stories regarding our choices for childbirth and parenting plans (natural childbirth, cloth diapering, organic/natural lifestyle choices...to name a few). Even people whom I thought should be supportive, were not always as I expected.

12 months after my daughter was born, I can say with pride that we have, in fact, parented and raised our daughter the way that we said we would: We was able to bring her in to the world gently and without any medical interventions, we STILL use cloth diapers (and love them), she STILL breastfeeds (and will until she is at least 2) and I STILL am a happy and thankful stay at home Mama.

For all the women in the world who have high hopes and big dreams for their labors, births and parenting plans, I would just like to say: Don't listen to the negative comments regarding your plans for your child(ren). You know what is best for you and your family.

And for people who will come in to contact with expecting parents, consider how impressionable these people are at that time in their lives. Keep the positive energy flowing for these people and surround them with love and support. That is the best gift you can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment