Thursday, July 29, 2010
A few days in Berlin
Berlin is a beautiful and incredibly vibrant city with a ridiculous amount of history. There are so many things to do and see in Berlin including: Museums, museums, a few museums and after that, you can stop by and take a peek in to a museum.
I was most interested in the Holocaust (guess what) MUSEUM, so we made sure to visit one while we were there. It was possibly one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen - so much more surreal when you are in the actual place that the atrocities took place - and standing at the exact spot where the Nazi's SS regime's main headquarters once was.
Some of the other places we visited included:
- Ku'Damm (main shopping area)
- Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, generally also known as "Gedächtniskirche"
- Berlin Zoo & Aquarium
- Charlottenburg Palace & Schlosspark Charlottenburg
- Bundestag - The German Parliament building
- Brandenburg gate
- Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
- Sections of the Berlin Wall
- Topography of Terror Museum
- Checkpoint Charlie